Founded by Horsemen
Since opening in October 1936, Keeneland has been unique in the Thoroughbred industry. Only at Keeneland are world-class racing and industry-leading sales united under one mission-driven entity.
Today, Keeneland continues to be guided by its original mission, taking a leadership role in the industry to improve safety, promote integrity and strengthen the sport of racing.
A Global Leader in the Thoroughbred Industry
Keeneland is the world’s largest and most prominent Thoroughbred auction house and hosts world-class racing twice annually during its boutique Spring and Fall meetings. Owners, trainers, riders and fans from all over the world travel to Lexington each year to participate at Keeneland.
April & October Race Meets
4040 graded stakes worth $10.1 million
4 salesJanuary, April, September and November
$500 million+annual total sales
50+countries represented by buyers and sellers
A Commitment to Reinvestment
Keeneland’s mission to perpetuate the sport of racing continues more than eight decades after its founding, as profits from Keeneland racing and sales are returned to the industry and community through such initiatives as:
- Racing purses – Over the past 7 years, nearly $40 million has been contributed by Keeneland sales above what is required per horsemen agreements to fund one of the richest purse structures in North America.
- Global market development – Keeneland is committed to the growth of the Thoroughbred industry and the buying bench at its auctions and actively travels to numerous foreign countries and invests hundreds of thousands of dollars annually to expand the marketplace.
- Industry initiatives – Keeneland proudly supports safety initiatives and equine organizations and is an advocate for Thoroughbred aftercare to improve the health of the industry. In the past 5 years, Keeneland has contributed nearly $1.5 million to the Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance alone.
- Fan development – Keeneland is committed to the growth of the industry’s fans and future participants. Each race meet creates racing fans of all ages, exemplified by the 10,000 members of the Keeneland Kids Club which exceeds. Enthusiastic crowds underscore Keeneland’s commitment to fan development.
- Local community – Proudly serving as a leader in Central Kentucky, Keeneland is committed to the community. This community activism began with Keeneland founders and continues to this day. Keeneland has donated millions to local charities, as well as to health and educational programs. Intended as a gathering place for the local community, Keeneland hosts hundreds of charitable and private events annually.